Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do your kids have cell phones or mp3 players?

Do your kids have cell phones or mp3 players?

If yes, how old are they? My son had a firefly cell phone a couple years ago but, I think those are nothing but, junk! The service was horrible and we have a horror story to back that up. Anyhoo, we have been considering a prepaid for my son in the near future for emergencies or calling family in CA only. We told him that he had to show more responsibility first before we bought him one. My son will be 11 this year, any suggestions on a good phone/plan? I have cingular/AT&T prepaid go phones for dh and I. The phone plans are perfect for us but, I think would be a waste for my son.

Another thing I was thinking about is, both of my kids are begging for MP3 players. I personally think a child is too young for one but, I have been considering a cheap $20-$30 unit for this upcoming christmas or birthdays. When did your child receive they're first mp3 player? DD will be 7 and DS will be 11. Again, I stressed more responsibility to them before I consider it further.

Re: Do your kids have cell phones or mp3 players?

my daughter is 12 and she has had an ipod and a cell phone for year or so. My oldest boy is 11 and he has an mp3 player no phone. She has the ipod only becuase I won it. he just has the mp3 player because it isnt the most responsible child. I would give my 5 yr old a phone before I would my 11 yr old son. :laughing: I guess it all depends on the child. If your 7 yr old is responsible get her a not to expensive mp3 and see how she does with it. My daugher has a boost phone. Its perfect for her.

I have an 11 and 15 year old and they both have an ipod and a cell phone. They were given the warning up front and know that it is THEIR responsibility. The ipods are like gold to them. They got them because I won them. I certainly would not have been able to afford them otherwise. They get alot of use out of them. Trips to the dentist are much more pleasant when daughter number one has her ipod on! My youngest left her phone in her pocket and it got washed. Luckily it does finally work but the sound is still messed up on it and you know what- to bad. It's your, you didn't take care of it and momma isn't getting you a new one!!!!!!!!!!! It was free so no great loss but it sure does teach a great lesson.

My daughter is 10, she has an mp3 player cause I don't think she really needs an Ipod yet. No cell until she's in junior high

The Sunshine State with Mickey Mouse as our neighbor.

I won't allow my children to use cell phones. There's no reason for them to have one, and they can get one when they're adults and can pay for it themselves. I use the Fly Phones when it's needed. I really like them since they can only call us or 911. I don't want my kids with a cell phone stuck to their head 24/7 talking to friends. I've even seen kids use them in diners to call their friend at the other end of the table!! :scratch:

I will let them use MP3's and iPods on a limited basis, but only when they were teenagers.

My daughter is 12 (13 next month) and she has had an Ipod for a year...she doesnt have a cell phone but my mom was letting her use hers until this last month when she racked up an $1100 cell phone bill for my parents...also she was calling and getting text messages from guys that she had met on the internet...she has very limited internet access at home so I am assuming she met them while being on the internet at her friends house...so now she will probably never get a cell phone until she earns the money to pay my parents back for the huge bill!!!

Okay ~ I am the bad parent here ~ all three of mine have cellphones and all three have MP3 / Ipod players. Travis is 17 now and is gone so much that he really did need one. His real Dad bought his Ipod and he loads it with his own money that he gets from working.

Caitlyn and Ashelyn both got their cellphones for Christmas in 2006. It was really the only thing that either of them asked for. Caitlyn is now 14 and Ashelyn is 10 and I have to say that I am so pleased with the way that they have kept up with theirs! Neither one have ever left it anywhere or lost it ~ or washed it! We added them to our plan, so we pay monthly. Caitlyn went over her minutes one month and had to pay the difference and after that she has kept it in check! Thank goodness it was only $10.00!!

Both girls also have MP3 players that they have loaded from their cd's or from downloads that I have won. Unlike the iPod, you can load regular MP3 players from other sites than apple! (but I wouldn't trade my Ipod for ANYTHING!!) I bought mine out of the Trade/Sale thread on here and only paid $25.00 for them apiece ~ just in case anything happens to them, but they make a long trip wonderful!!

Thanks for the replies, it's good to see that there are some parents here who have given these items to younger kids and that I am not crazy for thinking about it.

ndgal3369- OMG that is one heck of a bill! I don't think I would ever let my child have another one either, that is just insane and scary about the texting/calls to the man. What is sad is, where is the friends parents? My kids rarely get to use the PC and when they do, I monitor everything they do.

I won that expensive mp3 player but, I don't want to give one that cost so much to a child yet. I might sell that one or give it to dh for a gift (he has my old one that only holds 45 songs and it was expensive when it came out! *shakes head* )and buy a couple cheaper mp3 players for them and use the other $$ for something else. I have a nano and LOVE it. Can you believe that someone tried to give me $100 for it the other day just because, I have a bunch of music on it? I have around 200 songs and 125 photo's on it, I also purchased chargers, a case and all that. Not only this, it's in my fav color too. (green). If he would have offered a little more I would have considered it but, then I would have whinned like a baby, LOL.

Oh and by the way-Ping- you are in no way "the bad parent" for allowing your children to have things that require responsibility. You are letting them get their feet wet and learning for themselves. How can they gain experience if we don't allow them to spread out a little every once in a while! I know cell phones and ipods aren't that big of a deal but your kids did gain a little "grown upedness" (you probably can't pronounce that unless you are from the south) from having these items! Good for you my friend!!! Your the good mom in my book.

I can pronounce it fine ~ my redneck is showing through ~ lol!!! Kentucky Island born and raised here!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information