Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HGTV Dreamhome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HGTV Dreamhome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you ready for the HGTV Dreamhome? I enter every year. I know realistically, I will never win, but, I look at it like the lottery "Hey, ya never know?" Someone is going to win. Maybe it will be someone on the SA boards. Good luck everyone!!!!!!!!!!!
    I love to look at house designs. I enjoy the different designs.

The Sunshine State with Mickey Mouse as our neighbor.

Re: HGTV Dreamhome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got the email from HGTV this morning and got my first entry in. First thing would be to put it up for sale, pay the taxes, and pocket the rest. It should be an easy area to unload given that there's money there.

With my stupid dial-up I haven't even gotten to look at it yet!! I guess if I win ~ it will be a BIG surprise :laughing:

My Dream house is on a beach...but NOT this house!!
    If I won, I would show up with a U-Haul, empty the house of furnishings, put them up on ebay accentuating the fact they were from the HGTV dream house, then sell the house and buy my dream house on a beach in Hawaii!!
    The HGTV house is so impractical in so many ways...the kids bedroom on the ground floor facing the ocean??? Little ones I would worry about drowning after wandering off since the parents bedroom is on the 3rd floor....teens I would worry about sneaking out (since the parents bedroom is on the 3rd floor).
    The guest bedroom has to share a bath with the kitchen/living room AND you have go to past the washer and dryer room to get to it.
    A breakfast nook on the 3rd floor in an awkward place at the top of the stairs (and a whole floor up from the kitchen). It would have been better suited where the "reading" room is located.
    the strange strip of sand on each side of the narrow grass strip called a "backyard", the dog house that offers no protection for a dog...
    LOL I could go on and on, but you all know what I mean!

To date. I don't think one winner has actually kept the house. I believe they all sold them. Probably couldn't afford the taxes. I don't know about last year's winner, last year was the first year they threw in 250,000 dollars + the house, probably hoping one person would keep it.
    This years house is worth 2.2 million, honestly, who could afford the taxes on that?
    I would sell it. Had to.

The Sunshine State with Mickey Mouse as our neighbor.

Quote Originally Posted by thumbelina View Post
    To date. I don't think one winner has actually kept the house. I believe they all sold them. Probably couldn't afford the taxes. I don't know about last year's winner, last year was the first year they threw in 250,000 dollars + the house, probably hoping one person would keep it.
    This years house is worth 2.2 million, honestly, who could afford the taxes on that?
    I would sell it. Had to.
    The whole drama is somewhere on the internet. In a nutshell, though...

Last year's winner did move into the house, never sold his first house, and didn't have the money to cover the taxes. From what I also heard, someone in the family got sick and the medical bills piled up. He even had the nerve to try and sell the house on his own on the internet for almost double it's value. The last I heard, he's in a big financial mess!

Also, even when you are given money to "offset taxes", you are still required to pay taxes on the cash. It's still better than nothing, but some people don't realize that.

YIKES. I hadn't heard about that, LilDarkSide, but I'll have to look it up now, because I'm curious.

My husband and I took the online tour of the house, and we were just flabbergasted by how incredible it is. We were trying to brainstorm to figure out if there's any possible way for us to keep something like tha, but in the end if we won it, we'd be contacting high-end realtors in the state to help us sell it, and would take a 2-week vacation to enjoy the property and all of the coastal fishin. By the way - I don't think a fisherman designed the exterior of this house, because I don't see a fish cleaning table anywhere outside. Tsk!

A note, on the off-chance that someone reading this may share greenie's thoughts on the matter and happens to win this incredible prize: If you win a high-end home like this, DO NOT STRIP IT before you try to buy it. The housing market is in a slump as it is right now, and high end buyers often expect a home to be fully furnished with excellent items in order for them to consider buying it. Think of it this way - if you're a multi-millionaire and want a beach home to add to your real estate portfolio, would you rather buy a bare-bones house on the coast that you'll need to decorate and furnish, or would you rather buy one that already has furnishings of the caliber you are used to, to which you just add some personal touches?

Having said that, there ARE things I would probably take from the house, most of them from the kitchen. I just wouldn't strip the place dry.

I dream about moving to this apartment :love:-that is exactly as far as my dreams extend :laughing:
    http://www.kbcmgmt.com/properties/no.../stfrancis.htm
    That house would be sold in a heartbeat!

http://www.kltv.com/global/story.asp...Type=Printable

HGTV Dream Home Owner: "Foreclosure Proceedings Have Begun"

It's the beginning of what looks to be the end of quite a journey for Don Cruz and his family.

When asked if the house will be foreclosed on Don Cruz replied, "Yes. It will be sold on the courthouse steps, the first Tuesday of January. All I know is we're out of money and we're four months behind on payments."

Four months behind on the mortgage Don took out last year. The money from that loan helped him pay off the taxes on his winnings to the IRS.

The rest was supposed to help with monthly expenses. Instead, Don said, the money paid for two family emergencies including his wife's brain surgery.

"There's no way we could have afforded to do it if we hadn't won the house. And then my dad ended up with cancer. I paid for all the cancer treatment, paid for all the surgery and that ate up all the money we had," Don said.

When the dream home went on the market it was listed at almost $5 million at one point. The price has now dropped to $1.43 million.

"The $1.43 million will pay off that and all the bills that we're behind on. And we'll break even," said Don.

"So you're essentially a million 430 thousand dollars in debt," asked KLTV 7 Reporter Christine Nelson.

"Yes, ma'am," Don said.

Most of the past dream home winners have sold the house to help finance a more affordable dream. Something Don Cruz refused to do from the start. But Don said he does not regret his decision not to sell.

"It's still been a blessing. I'm going to miss all of our family and friends here," said Don. "But no regrets, whatsoever. I'd do it all over again."

Don now stares in the face of what looks to be the final days of living in the dream home. An experience that, for him, turned into a money pit.

Don said he has moved his wife and son back to their Illinois home, but they're behind on payments on that home too.

He said he's still holding on to hope to get a buyer for the dream home before the home makes the scheduled January auction. Which means a deal would have to be done by next Wednesday.

In response to the foreclosure news, HGTV issued the following written statement:

"...there are always options available to winners, including, in many cases, the option to sell the home back to the developer during the first year of ownership and receive cash, as there was in the 2005 HGTV Dream Home Giveaway. We know that Don Cruz and his family had a strong desire to remain in the dream home and now find themselves in this current challenging situation. As we have from the beginning, we will continue to respect their right to make their own decisions."

Christine Nelson reporting. cnelson@kltv.com

Quote Originally Posted by LIDARKSIDE;
    Last year's winner was Robert O'Neill, Sr. I tried searching for his website where he layed out his whole sad saga, but it doesn't appear to be anywhere to be found.
    That's because you're looking up the wrong name. :laughing:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information